1. Make the simple syrup- In a small saucepan combine 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cook just until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
2. In a saucepan large enough to hold all the pears, combine the wine, simple syrup, honey, ginger and Mulling Spice.
3. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla bean and add the bean and seeds to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the honey has melted.
4. Add the pears and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until the pears are tender. Remove the pears from the liquid and allow to cool.
5. Continue to simmer the liquid until it thickens and is reduced by half, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Remove and discard the vanilla bean.
6. Place each pear on a small serving plate with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, creme fraiche or greek yogurt. Drizzle with the syrup. Serve immediately.