Optional Accompaniments: Apple Sauce and Sour Cream
1. Coarsely grate potatoes and transfer to a large bowl of cold water, as they are grated. Soak potatoes in cold water for 1 to 2 minutes, then drain well in a colander (with small holes).
2. Spread grated potatoes on a kitchen towel roll up jelly-roll style. Twist towel tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible.
3. In a large bowl potatoes, eggs, onions and Cracked Black Pepper Rub, mix well.
4. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Spoon 2 tablespoons potato mixture per latke into skillet, spreading into 3-inch rounds with a thin spatula.
5. Reduce heat to moderate and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes. Flip latkes over and cook for 5 minutes, or until browned.
6. Transfer latkes to paper towels to drain. Add more oil to skillet as needed. Keep latkes warm on a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan in oven at 250º.
Make Ahead: Latkes can be made up to 8 hours ahead and reheated for 5 minutes at 350º.