1. Marinate the chicken - in a mixing bowl add the juice of 1 orange, Cinnamon Chile Rub and 2 teaspoons salt. Refrigerate for 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
2. Preheat oven to broil with the top rack 2 positions down from top. Place a empty rimmed baking sheet in the oven to heat at least 30 minutes before cooking the chicken. You want this pan screaming hot.
3. Meanwhile, make the fennel-orange slaw. Cut the fronds off the fennel bulbs and reserve. Cut the fennel bulb in half and remove the hard core. Then slice into half-moons as thinly as you can. You can also use a mandolin. Place sliced fennel in a bowl.
4. Peel the remaining 2 oranges and cut the flesh into bite size segments. Add to the bowl with the fennel. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/3 cup of pickled red onions. Set aside
5. When ready to cook, remove the hot sheet pan from the oven and VERY carefully add the canola oil. Move around sheet pan to coat. Then place the chicken on the pan - it should sizzle. Return to the oven and broil for 20 minutes or until golden brown. The internal temperature will be 165ºF.
6. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool with the pan juices. When cool enough to handle, use two forks to shred the chicken.
7. Using the same sheet pan, cover with tortilla chips. Top with shredded chicken, cheddar cheese and jalapenos slices. Broil for 3- 4 minutes or until the cheese is melty and chips are slightly scorched.
8. Remove from oven. Top with the fennel-orange slaw, dollops of sour cream, and a few bits of fennel fronds. Serve warm with your favorite hot sauce.
To make picked red onions, add a thinly sliced onion to a microwave safe glass bowl. Top with equal parts white vinegar and water. Stir in 2 teaspoons each sugar and salt. Microwave in high for 3 minutes. Remove from immediately cover with plastic wrap. Let cool to room temperature. Drain and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Spruce up the sour cream with the addition of 2 tablespoons lime or orange juice.