I love Steak Frites or steak with French fries. But for this dish to be successful, the steak and frites both must be perfectly seasoned and cooked. This requires an oven safe skillet, an oven and an instant read thermometer. This recipe has the wow factor!
2. In a small bowl combine the butter and 1 tablespoon Cracked Black Pepper Rub. Set aside.
3. Square off the potatoes by cutting 1/4 inch thick slice from each long slide creating a block. Discard the cut ends. Cut the potato lenghthwise into 1/4 inch thick slabs. Now cut each slab into 1/4 inch thick fries. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
4. Add the potatoes to a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1/2 cup oil and 2 teaspoons salt. Gently toss to coat. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip potatoes over and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or unitl golden brown and crispy.
5. Meanwhile, pat the steaks with a paper towel to remove any moisture. Season each steak with remaining 1 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper Rub.
6. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in an oven safe skillet over medium-high heat until the pan is smoking. Add the steaks and cook for about 4 minutes or unitl a crust as formed. Flip steaks over and transfer skillet to the oven. Cook 4-7 minutes or until an internal instant read thermometer reads 125°F.
7. Transfer steaks to a cutting board or a platter. Top with the seasoned butter. Tent for 8 - 10 minutes to allow steak to rest.
8. Season friites with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Serve steak with hot frites.
The key to the frites is cutting the potatoes into a uniform size, so they cook and crispy evenly.