Beef Brisket with Toasted Onion Herb
This is my holiday go-to recipe. It is easy, delicious and a crowd pleaser.
4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
4 pounds beef brisket, excess fat trimmed
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
8 Tablespoons, divided Toasted Onion Herb
1. In a large crock pot or Dutch oven, add in the potatoes, carrots, onions, Worcestershire, bay leaves, wine, beef stock and 2 tablespoons Toasted Onion Herb seasoning.
2. Liberally coat the brisket with the remaining 6 tablespoons of Toasted Onion Herb seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Place the brisket on top of the vegetables. (If your brisket is larger than your pot, cut it in half and stack the two pieces on top of each other)
3. In a slow cooker- opt for 8-10 hours on low, or high for 4-5 hours.
4. About 1 hour before your roast if finished cooking, remove 1 cup of liquid, whisk in the flour, and add it back into the pot to allow the broth to thicken.
5. Remove bay leaves and serve warm.
Cooking in a Dutch oven - Cook covered at 350ºF for 3 hours or until tender. Remove beef and vegetables. Boil sauce on stove top until thickened, about 30 minutes. No flour needed. Add brisket and vegetables back to the sauce to coat and warm before serving.